Service With a Smile
Flexible, reliable moving services to make your move, your way
Moving services FAQs
It takes longer for a moving company to load a moving truck than to unload it. The main reason is that professional movers will need to spend more time loading the truck as efficiently as possible, and that takes some preparation and planning.
The estimators at an experienced local moving company will assess all of the items that will need to be moved and determine the size of the truck that’s needed. Once local movers arrive to load the truck, they will need to find the optimal arrangement of items and the optimal order for loading the truck to ensure the available space is maximized.
The answer depends on your unique needs and circumstances. Here are some of the pros and cons of using professional packing:
Advantages of hiring a professional packing company:
- Packers with full-service movers can pack an entire household in just a few days, so you’ll save time.
- You’ll save both time and money by not having to find and buy all of the packing supplies you’ll need to keep your items safe.
- Experienced packers will know the best methods for wrapping and packing all of your items, so they are likely to be well protected.
Disadvantages of hiring professional packers:
- Hiring packers adds another expense to your total moving costs. Since rates can vary from one local moving company to another, be sure you understand how the company charges for packing; it may be a flat fee or an hourly rate.
- You may not be comfortable having people you don’t know handle your belongings. If you do decide to use professional packers, make sure you thoroughly vet the company you’re considering hiring for your moving services.
- You’ll be on the packing schedule that the moving company sets, so you may not have as much flexibility as you’d prefer.
There’s no question that the do-it-yourself option is usually the least expensive way of moving, particularly if you have friends or family who can safely manage moving large, heavy items, and you have access to one or more trucks.
However, you do need to consider the costs that still come with a DIY move: You’ll need to either rent a truck that’s large enough to save you multiple trips (and the fuel that goes with that) or make those multiple trips with a pickup truck. You’ll also need to source all of your packing supplies, including pads and blankets to protect appliances and high-quality wrapping to protect fragile items.
Before you make a decision to go the DIY route, you can get free estimates for moving company services.
Apart from the basic tasks of having capable helpers and a vehicle, here’s the advice our moving company experts offer for moving your belongings into storage:
- Select the right size and type of storage for your belongings. It should be large enough for you to be able to access all parts of the storage unit in case you need to quickly get to something you have stored. If you have items that are sensitive to temperature or humidity, protect them with climate-controlled storage.
- Keep safety in mind when you’re choosing a place to store your items. Ask storage companies how secure their facilities are and whether they have 24-hour video monitoring or other protection features.
- Make a complete inventory of the items you’ll be putting into storage when you box or pack them. Also, label each box so you won’t have to open multiple boxes if you’re looking for just one thing.
At MoveDay, the choice is yours! Our packing and moving services can be tailored to meet your unique needs.
We have a complete range of packing and moving services to choose from. You can take care of all the packing and leave the moving to us. If you'd like to pack some items yourself and have our expert packing pros pack us the rest, we can do that. We can pack and load just the large, heavy items, or pack, move, and unpack everything from start to finish. Best of all, you can even add our packing service after you've started working with us on your move.
A move with MoveDay is also worry-free: Every member of our moving crew is vetted, background-checked, and highly trained, and we protect your belongings with the best-quality boxes and packing materials.
Not every moving company has the capability to provide storage, but MoveDay does. We have a secure, state-of-the-art warehouse with around-the-clock video surveillance and top-of-the-line fire suppression so you can confidently store your belongings worry-free.
Our storage services are flexible, so you can choose from short- or long-term storage and you'll never pay for more than you need. Storage service pricing is clear and straightforward, with no hidden fees or costs.
You can use our storage services in combination with our moving services to make staging your home simple: Our expert crew will pack up unneeded items and store them, then bring them back to your current or your new home when you're ready for them. Planning to remodel your home? MoveDay can make that easier, too, by getting items out of your way and protecting them from construction dust and damage.
If you didn't include our storage services as part of your move, it's no problem—you can take advantage of our storage services at any point during your move.
When you're about to make a move, one of the hardest parts is simply knowing where to start. A good rule of thumb, however, is to begin by packing things that you're sure you won't need until you're in your new place and pack things that are needed on a daily basis (or several times a week) last.
Typical places to start packing are the areas that you use for storage around your home. Chances are you're not going up into your attic to retrieve things very often, so that can be a great place to start. If you're fortunate enough to have plenty of closets in your home, you probably use more than one of them to store out-of-season clothing and shoes, so you can put these early on your packing schedule as well. Also take a quick inventory of items in your garage or a detached shed, setting aside basic tools that may come in handy during a move and packing up most everything else.
An added bonus to beginning with your least-used items is that you can decide if things you won't need for a period of time are needed at all, giving you a great opportunity to declutter and pare down your belongings. Plus, getting rid of unneeded or unwanted items before you get very far along in the moving process means you'll have fewer items to deal with as you pack.
The loading and unloading services offered by MoveDay give do-it-yourself customers the option to have labor-only packing, loading, and unloading help. We have expertly trained, professional movers who can relieve you and your friends and family of the tough task of loading and unloading heavy items such as furniture or boxes.
For your peace of mind, you can virtually meet the crew we'll send to your door prior to your moving day. You can view their profiles, internal quality ratings, and more.
Senior moving or senior relocating services are much like other types of moving services, but with important differences that accommodate the particular needs of more mature customers. Assisting a senior with any move requires special attention to the emotional as well as physical and logistical aspects of moving, plus a focus on safety from start to finish. At MoveDay, we proudly offer specialty senior moving services provided by patient and caring professionals who can help ease the stress of downsizing, moving in with family members, transitioning to a care facility, or moving to a retirement community.
These are just a few of the benefits of allowing the MoveDay team the honor of helping with your senior move:
- A dedicated and supportive single point of contact: You will have just one number to call for assistance from your experienced, dedicated move coordinator throughout the moving process.
- A personalized moving portal: Our user-friendly technology gives you peace of mind and access to information about the members of team who will take care of the move, location tracking details on moving day, and more.
- Highly trained movers: A senior move often involved deeply cherished items gathered over a lifetime, so we give them special attention to ensure they're properly cared for.
In addition to partial or full moving services for seniors, we also offer short- and long-term storage services (including temperature-controlled storage for sensitive items such as antiques), expert packing and unpacking services, and labor-only loading and unloading services for help with heavy items.
If you're interested in receiving an estimate for our senior moving services, you can take advantage of our simple, accurate moving quote tool. There are never any surprises or hidden moving fees in our quotes, so you will always know exactly what our senior moving services cost.
Also be sure to review our checklist for moving with senior citizens, which can help guide you through the entire process, from getting a moving quote and decluttering belongings well before your move, to a final walk-through on moving day.
Helpful home moving resources
Planning a local move? MoveDay makes it a pleasant experience with our efficient moving process, attentive service and helpful resources like this complete, customizable moving checklist. Save time. Avoid headaches. Get your move day checklist, now.